Running Cryptobase for the first time
- After completing the installation, you can launch Appy7 from the Start Menu: <Programs> <Cryptobase>
- You will be asked whether you want to define a custom path and file name for your database. Click YES unless you prefer accepting the default folder (\Cryptobase in the MyDocuments folder) and file name "mydata.mydb".
- Next, you will have to specify a Password and enter it twice. This the most crucial step, because a weak Password could be "guessed" or detected by smart password cracking software, which tests for common alphanumeric words or word combination first, before exploring more difficult to guess phrases or combinations of characters. Therefore, avoid using your wife's name or anything similar. Such a password should be considered a pass-par-tout rather than a secure key to your data. Preferably, mix upper and lower case alphabetic characters and use at least one numeric and a special (non-alphanumeric) character (like @*:# etc.). Minimum password length is set to 8 characters (there is no upper limit). Any alphabet is accepted (e.g. kyrillic, chinese, arabic, korean, etc.)
In order to maximize security and to prevent any attempt to recover the password by unauthorized third parties, the app does not provide any backdoor.
Keep in mind that YOUR DATABASE IS AS SECURE AS YOUR MAIN PASSWORD.
Therefore, select it carefully, remember it and keep a written copy in a safe place.
It is your choice to create a easy to crack or an absolutely intrusion-proof database.
Again: there is NO BACKDOOR in the app or in the database. There is no way to restore or reset/replace a forgotten main password. This means that:
IF YOU FORGET THE MAIN PASSWORD YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY CHANCE TO OPEN YOUR DATABASE AND YOUR DATA WILL BE LOST.
- After confirming the Password, the start screen will appear. You can access the single sections (applications) from the vertical button bar on the left.
- From Windows' Start Menu select <Programs> <Cryptobase> <Cryptobase>
- By default, Cryptobase® attempts to open the last used database. If no such database is found, you have choice of creating a new database, open an existing database or leave the program (see next header: "Create a new database...")
- You will be asked to enter the MasterPassword and if it is correct, the database opens and the start screen appears.
If the Password is not correct, you get 2 further chances (with a forced delay of 2 seconds in between) before the program is shut down and you will have to start it again.
If you choose to open another database or to create a new database, click the [Cancel] button instead of entering the Password.
Create a new database or open another existing database
- In the startup phase of the program, instead of entering the Password click the [Cancel] button. A menu window appears with 4 buttons:
[Create New DB]
[Open Existing DB]
[Restore DB from Cloud]
- With the program and a database open, select <File><New...> or <File><Open...> from the Menu Bar. The running database will be closed.
- If your choice has been to create a new database, enter a name for the database in the dialog window. Then enter and confirm the Master Password (see above First Launch, paragraph 3).
- If your choice has been to open an existing database, select a database (.apy file) in the dialog window. Then enter the Master Password (see above Starting Cryptobase®, paragraph 3).
Exiting the Program
To exit the software, click the [Exit] button on the toolbar or select <Exit> from the File Menu.