This is a subject of paramount importance: the security of your data depends primarily upon the quality of your Master Password.
This is probably the main strength of this app: There is no way to restore or reset/replace a forgotten main password. Nobody can retrieve the password from the app or from the database.
On the other hand, this means also that if you forget the main password, you will not have any chance to open your database.
IF YOU FORGET THE MAIN PASSWORD YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY CHANCE TO OPEN YOUR DATABASE AND YOUR DATA WILL BE LOST FOREVER.
CHOOSE A STRONG PASSWORD!
The strength of your main password determines the security of your database. A strong password will make for a totally secure database which will be impenetrable for anyone using even most sophisticated cracking methods. Therefore, select it carefully, remember it and keep a written copy in a safe place. And remember again: there is no way to retrieve the password if you forget it!
Choose a Password according to the following criteria:
- Any length of Password equal or, preferably, exceeding 8 characters is acceptable, the longer the better. Cryptobase® will not accept Passwords shorter than 8 characters.
- A good Password should contain a mix of character types:
Upper case and lower case characters are treated as different characters. So mix upper AND lower case alphabetic, numeric and special characters (like spaces, &($/![#* etc.) or even characters from different alphabets (e.g. kyrillic, chinese etc.)
- Its content should be impossible to guess in order to make smart force attacks impossible and brute force attacks fruitless. Avoid any reference to your person or family, citations from known authors etc, unless you disfigure the text with numbers and special characters.
- It is equally important to choose a Password you can remember, because forgetting the Password means losing your database forever. There is no chance and no way to recover the Password by any means from the content of the database. Defining the Password is a one-way operation, without any backdoor. Write it down and keep it in a safe place.
- Take into consideration that a long and complex password may be awkward to enter on mobile device keyboards, but make no compromise on data safety.